I've been awake since 11:30. Yes, I was up with the baby at 11:30 but she's not the reason I'm still awake at 2:12 AM. Yesterday (Saturday) was 'B' day. That's 'B' for boobie. I decided to stop breastfeeding for so many reasons. The number one reason being I want to hold my baby without suffering a plugged duct (most usually several plugged ducts in each breast). I gave it the ole college try and now I'm over it. Totally and completely over it. Yes, I feel a little sad that Big Al won't have the same experience her brother did as an infant. Honestly though, holding her little body close to mine would be nice.
I've obviously never quit the breastfeeding thing cold turkey so I called my doctor's office for some advice. First, I was prescribed a birth control pill. These help reduce milk production. The nurse also gave me the age old secret of inserting cold cabbage leaves in your very tight fitting sports bra. Of course I kept thinking that in this day and age why can't we come up with something better than cabbage leaves? You had better believe I bought the biggest, healthiest looking cabbage in the store. When life gives you cabbage, stuff it in your bra. -That's my motto these days.
All day long I actually looked forward to 'B' day. I'm ready to leave the house without returning two hours later in pain because my hospital grade breast pump didn't come with a rechargable battery pack. Once again, OVER IT. I've googled 'stop breastfeeeding' and knew the painful part of the whole process could last 24 - 48 hours. That's just the painful process, the entire process could take weeks. I truly felt ready to endure.
So here it is 2:23 AM and I'm still awake. After enduring two painfully engorged boobies I decided to google 'stop breastfeeding' again. This time I found articles encouraging women to pump a little bit to relieve the painful engorgement pressure. Now the milk reduction process may take 2-3 weeks to complete but I feel so much better about it. I always thought I had a high pain tolerance but I do NOT. The four hours I suffered tonight was way worse than the entire first week recovering from a c-section. Why isn't there a better alternative? Apparently there is, but it's not FDA approved. I'll stick with my cabbage leaves for now.
Valentine's Date for the Family
15 years ago
4 comments:
Oh Rach, I Have SO. BEEN. THERE.
i feel your pain (literally)!
Hang in there. As you know, all of ine breastfed for what most consider a very short period of time. There is only so much pain and bouts of mastitis (and thats exactly where clogged ducts can lead!) one girl can endure. I enjoyed my babies SO much more once that hell was over. I think they enjoyed me more without the tension as well. You dont have to be nursing for that close snuggly bonding and dont any la leche nazis tell you differently!
As for the "drying up" I highly reccommend just pumping barely enought to ake the edge off for a few days and then try to only do that once a day thereafter for a few days. I think you'll see results pretty quickly. ALSO, dont forget your ibuprofen! a full 800mg! Hope you are feeling beter soon, I know it totally sucks.
MB- I'm going to do exactly as you say. I'm also up-ing my ibuprofen dosage. This is worse than actually having the baby!
Hey with Cameron they gave me an extra wide ace bandage and wrapped it very tightly around my boobies. I never breast fed him and I don't remember that lasting too long. Maybe a week I did that. I had lots of problems breastfeeding Dayna and just opted out of the whole thing with Cam and they are very healthy kids
(young adults) and always have been. I agree that the close bonding with the bottle in hand meant so much more than me crying out in pain with each suck!!!!! Do you nedd some vicodin??? I can hook you up!
I hope your booie woes are close to over now. I was lucky not to deal with this but I have seen the pain in the faces of others. Hang onto your cabbage.
Post a Comment