Today just happened to be the very first day I stepped back into reality. My in-laws helped immensely with Bug and all of his weekly appointments but they had to get back to their lives too. So this morning we were all up by 7, I know it sounds late but it doesn't really feel late after all the night feedings. We were all dressed and fed by 9. Yay me! Notice I didn't say 'showered'? That's okay.
By 10 the three of us were out the door, in the truck and on our way to speech therapy. The first obstacle included getting two kids out of the car and into the hospital...which I managed with expert precision! Yahtzee!! The true test of my mom capabilities always occurs when speech therapy is over. For some reason Bug always tests me in front of the therapist. Today I failed. Big time failure. In front of a waiting room full of other mothers, I FAILED. Bug threw a humongous tantrum and if my memory (which is slightly blurry) serves me correctly, there was a chair involved this time and Al's carseat. The chair slid across the room and the carseat flipped over while the other moms whispered about how difficult it can be for an older child to adjust to the new baby. Meanwhile, I tried to collect my things while Bug grabbed his sister's arm and tried to bend it backwards. Imagine this, the therapist tried to manage Bug's temper along with another mom (sounds bad but we know her from being at speech therapy every Monday) AND I tried to do my motherly part. It was ugly, u-g-l-y.
I'm sure you're wondering how I maneuvered my precious child into the truck, right? I held his hand and squeezed it tight. This seemed to work. It worked today anyway. I'm just so shocked by his behavior. He's always so great with Al at home and in restaurants and even in the car. He always holds her hand and plays music for her when she cries. I really hope he's just adjusting to Al getting some of the attention that is usually all for him at therapy. I guess I'll find out when we go back on Wednesday. That is, if they let us back in.
Would you like to know what had me almost giggling while Bug destroyed the waiting room? I sure as hell hope my cabbage leaves don't fall out of my shirt right now. Although, it would take everyone's mind off my child being really obnoxious.
After all the fit throwing, I had low blood sugar and had to make a mad dash for McDonald's. Of course I earned a Starbuck's latte after my embarrassing morning. Starbuck's still makes it all better.
Valentine's Date for the Family
15 years ago
3 comments:
All those Moms were thinking "Thank God it isn't my kid this week" knowing full well it could be them next week. Anyone judging you today will get theirs in the end. It sounds like you earned a shot of something good in the coffee as well. Hang in there.
Annie took the words right out of my mouth.
And, hey, you've been witness to a few of my trainwrecks! We all have them! My trainwrecks are just of a different sort these days...aaaargh!
You did not fail...you still got a starbucks when it was all said and done so it was a successful outing if you ask me!
Post a Comment