Friday, January 25, 2008

Spilling the beans

My New Year's resolution:

I decided to pick a resolution I might actually stick with this year. I always go for 1)getting in shape; 2) trying to be nicer. Number 1 is just a piece of cake, who doesn't want to get in shape? You just feel better, right? And it does make me a tad nicer. Endorphins rock.

So this year I've decided to go greener. Notice I did not say go totally green? Do you know how difficult that is? And not to mention expensive. I'll ease my way into a greener life. Someday, totally green would be nice. I feel like I should fess up to my already achieved greenness and maybe that will encourage me to stick with it. (Yes MB, it seems I am copying but I had already planned to fess up.)

This is what I've done so far:

Use less paper towels by 1)giving the family real napkins with each meal; 2) cleaning all spills with bar towels; 3) spot cleaning the floor with bar towels.

Only run the dishwasher when it's completely full.

Only wash clothes when I have a full load. *This is actually nice! I do way less laundry these days.

Follow husband and child around turning off lights. -Exhausting.

Really trying to buy local produce. It's difficult to do here. The farmer's markets still buy from all over the freaking country.

Stop using toxic household cleaners. *I bought Martha Stewart's household cleaning book and actually unclogged a shower drain with boiling hot water. It felt good not to use Drano. I also use Bon Ami and baking soda for almost all of my bathroom cleanings. I feel better about dropping Bug in the tub after cleaning with baking soda instead of bleach or lysol.

I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a total snooze but has given me the encouragement needed to consider gardening. It might be fun, we'll see.

I'm also cooking more of our meals and using less pre-packaged foods. -Also exhausting but tastes a lot better.

Since I'm fessing up to the whole going greener thing, has anyone noticed how most people absolutely scowl when the term 'green' is mentioned? I have and it annoys me.

I should also fess up to buying Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I have a toddler who eats hummus and anything spicy but nothing green. It bothers me. So I now roast tons of veggies, puree them, bag them, freeze some and refrigerate the rest and sneak them into recipes. I've made several recipes from the book and most of them were quite tasty. I don't recommend the tofu bites dipped in pea puree and breadcrumbs and then sauteed. They are quite bland and not worth the effort. However, I made my chili recipe with one mushed avocado, 1/2 cup pureed beets and 1 cup pureed carrots and no one could tell the difference. I even used soy crumbles instead of beef! My brother in law wanted the recipe. He loved it until the gas hit. Oh well. The point is this, my child is eating tons of veggies now!

5 comments:

MaryB said...

First of all, didnt even cross my mind that you were or were not copying.

Secondly,I applaud this effort greatly. i love that show, "Life with Ed." Do you watch it? It makes me want to be totally green, but as you say, just cant commit that much yet. baby steps.

I want more info on the cleaning of the tub with baking soda. I have the opposite reaction as you o the bleach - I just feel like it is cleaner if i have bleached it thoroughtly. But, as I have 2 kids with very very very sensitive skin, I would love to use the baking soda. Do you just scrub it down with baking soda/water paste and rinse?

i LUURV the seinfeld book. i just read a review of one of the cookies though and they were BAD. She has loved everything else though.

the only reason you think you see people scowl is because of your geography - just like mine. also,it is just because they are jealous that you are more aware and smarter than they!

Anything is Possible said...

Yes, I just make a paste and scrub the whole tub. It really makes the faucets shiny. You have to rinse really well, otherwise you'll see residue. The Bon Ami works quite nicely too. I'm also a big fan of bleach. On occasion, I still clean the whole bathroom with bleach. I just like the clean smell. I just can't put Bug in the tub after a bleach cleaning. He ends up with little bumps.

Yeah, you're right. It's the geography. Most people in these parts aren't open to change. And I'm way smarter!

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I went to a liberal public college in New York and in the dorms we had to not only recycle, but separate our glass by color. I was afraid to throw anything away. I try very hard to recycle here, but my husband has zero interest. I am constantly picking bottles and such out of the regular trash. I try to walk as much as I can instead of taking the car and I use my cruies control. People on teh highway here hate me but I average over 25 mpg in my giant car this way. One other suggestion, try reusable grocery bags. I use mine al lthe time. They hold more, don't break and you save trees (or plastic trees or whatever).

Anonymous said...

Does it count that I use all those expensive swirly light bulbs and I do recycle religiously. I love Life with Ed too but is having a big a#%# pool contradicting my green efforts. I sure like my spa every night so I don't think I can give that up. But you are my hero Rach because you are always trying to be a better person. Lately me not so much due to this constant cold drizzle! Is it depressing or what??

Anything is Possible said...

Annie- Wow. Separating glass by color is way beyond my abilities right now. That's amazing though. I've looked into recycling programs here and it's really sad. I've also been told (need to look into it further) that even if I take all my recycling to the center, it may not actually get recycled. I've really got to look into that. It's hard to believe a recycling center wouldn't actually recycle products but who knows.

I did buy a reusuable bag for the whole foods store. It's not big enough for my normal shopping at Wal Mart BUT I do recycle all of my plastic bags. I know, it's not great but I'm taking baby steps.

I'd love to do more with my car. Bug has standing appointments twice a week at the hospital and we burn a lot of gas in the truck. We've talked about hybrids but I want to wait a few years before we jump into that. Using cruise control is a great idea. Walking is out of the question here. We're way too far from anything.

Anon- Our pool is definitely a luxury item! So is our sprinkler system. We actually need to have someone come out and see where we are losing electricity. Our electric bills are double what they should be. Old houses sure do have lots of character. We use the swirly bulbs too.

The weather was better today. At least it looked pretty. I never made it outside!